Saturday, June 30, 2012

No Can Do Accretionary Wedge #47 - field notes

I saw the call to post for Accretionary Wedge 47 and after reading it I realized this was one I was going to have to pass on because the host was asking for Field notes.  I failed to copy it and make a note of who was hosting since I thought I couldn't do it.  (if I come across it again I will include it here.)

The more I thought about it, the more I could at least write why it can't be done for me.
There are a number of reasons why I can't do it.

1.  When I was taking my field camp course (my junior year) which is where most of that stuff that I had - the professor would collect it and grade it but would not let you keep it.  You could ask to see it and refer back to it but you couldn't keep it.  Since we were camping and such that made sense to me so that he had to keep track of it in his car and it was no longer our responsibility. Then at the very end we had a major project to do that was half of our grade.  That report we were able to finish up later at the University where we were suppose to use the knowledge we had already obtained out in the field. Everything was in that report.   That report I did get back.
      A friend of mine was doing his thesis on that area where I had my field camp.  He asked if he could borrow my report to see what I had come up with.  I let him borrow it.  He did his thesis but had some revisions to make.  Unfortunately he got a job offer 1000 + miles away and moved while putting his finishing touches on his thesis.  My report got moved too.  Years and years later he got part of it back to me - his little girl had found it and thought it was a coloring book because I had colored pictures in pencils in it.  She colored over a lot of it making it hard to see things.  Since by then I was already working and had my masters degree it really didn't matter much to me.
   I read what I could in it and realized it was pretty pitiful anyway.  It was my first attempt at doing that stuff.  The most important thing was all the stuff I learned from doing it - not the report in and of itself. Shoot- when I went to field camp, I had never held a Brunton compass before let alone map with it.  After doing that report & others  I learned so much and things gradually improved.
  I put it away in a box with a bunch of text books that I knew I would never use again.  Then one time when I was moving I didn't have the space to move that box and decided to give it to the library, not realizing that report was in that box - at lease that's what I think happened to it.  To get to gist of the matter - I lost it and have never found it again.

After that  course, so much of what I did in grad school was for my professors and their papers or reports and they would keep all of my material for their stuff since they were the primary author on the articles and I would get a name citation.  I would photo copy what I could but back then it could only be done in black and white and these thing were usually in full color. Again this didn't mater much to me once I started to work.

I do have my thesis stuff but its packed way back in the attic and with being close to a 100 degrees out side, I'm not about to go looking for it.  There's no telling how hot it is up there but I know its got to be 100 degree plus. And there's no telling how long it would take me to find it.  I would probably have to clean out or move the vast majority of the stuff before I could locate it.  I got too many other things I have to do than to start that project now.

Which brings me to the second reason I have no field notes.
2.  When I was working, it was understood that all that I did belonged to the company I was working for at the time and they could do with it as they choose.  When I left, I had to hand over all my notes and drawings and logs books.  The first time they even took my Rolodex so I had to build up a whole new network base.  (After that I learned to buy and keep my own Rolodex at home so that I would never have  to go through all of that again. Nowadays you don't see many Rolodex but I do see people with company phones.  Please keep a separate device for storing that vital information that's not the companies property.  )
    Most of the stuff I worked on was so confidential it was not allowed to leave the room, and was kept under lock and key.   We were not allowed to bring work home and they discouraged us from working too late. The only thing we could take home was the professional journals we were encouraged to read - those could keep you busy most nights anyway.  All of this was done so that copying of the material was next to impossible.
   So of course during my working years as a geologist I have no field notes to share.

3.  The next reason is after being laid off, I had a severance package that covered retraining.  I started to study bookkeeping/ accounting & got a degree in bookkeeping.  By then I had started a family and I wanted something that didn't take me from home a whole lot and was more reliable than being a consulting geologist.  For over 20 years I did bookkeeping, so of course there would be no field notes with that type of work.  I do have a lot of payroll spreadsheets that I used to do manually but again this is confidential material and cannot be shared.

And finally I just want to share this.
  When my youngest started school, I was getting all set to get back into the workforce as a geologist.  Two things happened to me to make me realize I could no longer be a geologist.  I found out I had skin cancer and I needed to stay out of the sun as much as possible.  (Which is great for a bookkeeper but tough luck for a geologist who loves working outdoors as much as possible.)  At first I wasn't discourage from going back into geology convincing myself that if I slathered up a whole lot with sunscreen of 50+ I'd be okay.
   But also at that same time I got bit by a fire ant.  To most people that is no big deal, but to me it was deadly.  I had an anaphylactic reaction to it.  I found out I'm allergic to all ants, especially fire ants.  How could I be a geologist working in the field and avoid all ants?  I just couldn't see myself being able to be avoid them.
  So now I do carry epi pens with me and every once in a while I just have to get out into the field to look at things but most of the time I just stay home.  To me that's why I've enjoyed the geoblogsphere so much because I can still see all these wonderful things others are studying yet view it from the safety of my home.
  Now when I go and look at geologic things I just go for my own pleasure and don't try to map it or figure that stuff out.  I rely more on what others have research and publish to figure out what I'm looking at. I do try to figure things out first and then see if what I come up with agrees with what others have concluded too.  Most of the time we are in general agreement but sometimes some of the stuff really surprises me.  I guess that's why I love studying geology so much there's always so many interesting formations out there to see.

I muse:  I hope all those geologist who are working out in the field are taking proper precautions and are using lots of sun screen, especially now that summer is here and a lot of field work is getting done.  I sure do wish I had, but when I was growing up they really were not that aware of how dangerous the sun could be, and I very rarely put some on.

I muse:  When I lost my Rolodex with all my contacts in it, I lost track of a lot of people I never wanted to.  I was so naive back then and really wished someone would have told me of that possibility. In all fairness the people I was working with had been with the company for many many year (some 30+ years) and had never seen a layoff until the oil bust of the mid 1980's. None of them had ever experience any of this and it was all new to them too.
   For those out there in the working force buy your own device for storing your network contacts, that way the company can't take it from you when you leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment