Monday, July 18, 2011

I want to thank the ones who helped me AW#36

I just want to thank On-the-rocks, Meg and Cujo359 for your comments to my blog post here; about being able to download slides to the computer.  Your suggestions have really come in handy and I really, really appreciate them a whole lot.  Words can not begin to describe how thankful I am to all of you.

As soon as I read On-the-rocks comment  this weekend, I went out to Best Buy and Radio Shack to see what they have.  I was able to pick up a Ion Film 2SD for about $70 (Tiger direct had them for $64 but this way I got it right away and I didn't have to pay shipping and handling. Plus they were able to show me how it work to make sure it was exactly what I wanted.)  Then have spent the rest of the weekend going down memory lane.  It may not be the best one out there, but it is so much better than nothing at all.  I went with this one because I could transfer the stuff to SD-cards which I later plan on storing in a lock box or a safe because they are so small and can store so much data.  The SD-card also lets me download it to the computer.

Some of the pictures have turned out great, and some not so great.  A lot has to do with the slides themselves.  I couldn't get over how some of the slides had faded or turn yellow so much.  I could tell different slide material - Kodak verse Fuji made a difference.  And some I know I took to professional photo shops to get developed while other times I took it to Wal-greens.  In the end you get what you paid for.  Being a poor college student at the time, I always went the cheapest route.  But I have gotten years and years of enjoyment out of them so I've always been grateful to have them.  Some of the ones that I have shown a lot - (I guess the bright light of the hot bulbs caused it) have really faded while others in that series that weren't shown as much have not. 
   Well I can't show you all of them but I can show you a few of what I'm talking about.

Here's one that turn out well, but I never had it printed up because the strobe for the flash was off and it didn't take the full shot - this is what I was thinking about when I wrote you never knew what type of photo you would get.  Unlike digital nowadays were you would just simply reshoot the shot.  Or photo edit it.  Which I did. 
 Can you guess who this is? - I'll give you a clue - he has had stuff in the geoblogsphere. ( Here's what I can do with it now-a-days with editing - does this help any more?.)
How about this one does that give you a better guess?


Here's a shot that I did have made into a photo and you can see the difference in the two.   I must admit because I was getting so many things developed at that time I did go the cheapest way possible with everything.  You  can see it yellowed a lot and the blues have faded but there is over 30 years of fading with the slide.  But like I said its better than nothing at all.  I did keep the photo in an album in a controlled environment, while the slides were stored in an attic that could have also led to some fading due to the storage conditions it was subjected to.

The shot was taken on July 4, 1977 while we were having a break during field camp.  We made an excursion over to Lake Tahoe, CA.  I thought that lake was the prettiest thing I had ever seen, this was after weeks and weeks in the desert with very little rain.  All that wonderful cold water.

Some of them aren't the best but they still bring back the memories.
 Like I'll never forget learning to repel at Clifton Rocks Ohio so that I could go rock climbing. Knowing those techniques were sure handy when we climbed to the top of Seneca Rocks in West Virginia.
Clifton Rocks, Ohio Oct 78
Clifton rocks Ohio, Oct 78

rock climbing at Clifton Rock, Ohio Oct 78
 
 Here I am  climbing up.  Someone else was using my camera and didn't know how to adjust the lenses for being in the shadows. So it was always dark to see, thus no prints made.
I was so proud to make it to the top of Seneca rocks and to add my name in that band-aid tin box that had peoples names had who made it up there.  There were not as many as I thought there would be.

Seneca Rocks, West Virginia at sunset.  May 1977
Or I'll never for get silly things people did on field trips.
Like this one where we were looking at an oolite (forgot to write down where the oolite was located just labeled the slide oolite.  Now I can't remember anything about it except it was somewhere near the east coast, in the mountains.)

Or my friends getting bored and decided to horse around on a log while we were studying the erosion process of the Chargin River, Ohio.

Or the geomorphology professor's field trip, where I'll never for get him showing us erosional features. With him going into his own world, not paying attention to any of the dangers,  but so excited about showing us things, and getting us just as interested as he was. Then to top it off we got a flat tire and the silliness that ensued with that..

 This was some feature associated with glaciers.   I think it may have been an end moraine, but I really can't remember exactly what it was.
Erosion on a river in Ohio

Here he is walking over this overhang not caring that there was about a 20 foot drop to the river below.  There was no way I was going to go over there and check out what he was so excited about. I could see the effects of river erosion very well just where I was.  Besides I didn't think that ledge could hold all of us.
 Then the flat tired happened and the field trip came to a complete stand still. We all just sat around and watched, well not all of us watched some did other more constructive things. There were just so many people that could help change a tire.  We made jokes about how many geologist does it take to change a tire and things along that line.


And then there are some pictures that seem to get better with age like this one of the sunrise over the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

or this sunset in Nevada on Highway 50.

Highway 50, Eureka Co, Nevada  July 1977

And finally here's the one image I wanted to share and got all the help with again thank you for getting a good image of Eureka, Nevada on July 19, 1977.

Oh the memories how wonderful they are, especially the ones of my loved ones that have moved on to other places.  Again Thanks for making this all possible.

Now I'm musing what photo editing program I should try to get these more back to their original colors.  When I get that figure out there probably will be more stuff to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment